DAVIDSON, N.C. - Appalachian State University men's tennis began its 2012 fall schedule on Friday in the Jim Causey Invitational hosted by Davidson College. The Mountaineers were joined at the tournament with host Davidson, Campbell and Charlotte.
The Apps were able to pick up a win at the No. 7 flight against Charlotte as freshman Michael Smith defeated Alex Weber 7-6, 6-3 to secure Appalachian's lone win in singles play.
In doubles action, App State came up short against Davidson, falling 4-0, but later earning a flight victory at the No. 3 position against Campbell. Sophomores Steve Lake and Robert Jenkins knocked off Ondrej Kralik and James Jones, 8-5. Appalachian could not manage another victory against Campbell, dropping the other two matches against the Camels and one to Davidson.
The Mountaineers return to the courts on the final day of the Jim Causey Invitational on Saturday, Oct. 6.
Charlotte Singles Round
Sebastien King lost to Williams 7-6,
2. Carson Greve lost to Calott 6-3, 6-3
3. Zach Bost lost to Massalle Ferrer 6-1, 3-6, 11-9
4. Robert Jenkins lost to Cisti 6-0, 6-0
5.Zeke Sansing lost to Edwards 6-0, 6-3
6.Steve Lake lost to Shanok 7-6,6-3
7. Michael Smith def. Weber 7-6, 6-3
8. Tyler Pyle lost to Linares 6-4, 6-3
Davidson Doubles Round
1. King/Sansing lost to Schafer/ Kunz 8-4
2. Bost/Greve lost to Mark/Moore 8-6
3. Lake/ Jenkins lost to Kallick/Evins 8-2
4. Pyle/ Smith lost to Irigoyen/Howard 8-7
Campbell Doubles Round - Davidson played Flight #4
1. King/Sansing lost to Rossignon/ Baro 8-5
2. Bost/Greve lost to Guillen/Clavera 8-3
3. Lake/ Jenkins def. Kralik/Jones 8-5
4. Pyle/Smith lost to Irigoyen/Reitten (Davidson) 8-6