GREENSBORO, N.C. - Appalachian State women's tennis dismissed North Carolina A&T with a 7-0 final in its opening match of the 2013 season at Piedmont Indoor Tennis Center on Friday afternoon.
Once again, the Mountaineers repeated their prior success against the Aggies.
Appalachian's Jennifer Ansari and Clare Cox started things off with an 8-1 win at the No. 1 doubles position, while the No. 2 pair of Gabriela Celi and Brianna Armellino grabbed an 8-4 victory. Doubles pair Carson Shell and Sarah King rounded out the competition with an 8-2 defeat at the No. 3 position.
In singles compeition, Ansari pulled ahead at the top spot. Opponent Kenya Colbert withdrew after a 1-4 start due to injury. Cox dropped only a single game to A&T's Victorea Austin to take the second singles, 6-1, 6-0, while Armellino took the No. 3 match with a 6-2, 6-0 win, and clinched another victory for Mountaineers against the Aggies.
Gabby Gabriel went three sets against the Aggie's Jayla Scott, finishing 6-2, 3-6, 10-5 for a win at No. 4 singles. Celi took the No. 5 match 6-1, 6-1, while King closed out the Apps' victories with another 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 6.
The Mountaineers remain on the road as they travel to Greenville, N.C. tomorrow, Jan. 19, to face East Carolina at 10 a.m. The Apps travel to White Sulphur Springs, W. Va. next weekend for a set of indoor matches. The Apps face George Mason on Sat., Jan. 26 at 3 p.m., followed by James Madison on Sun., Jan. 27 at 9 a.m. and Liberty at 3 p.m.
Appalachian State 7, North Carolina A&T 0
1. Jennifer Ansari (APP) def. COLBERT,Kenya (NCAT) retired, retired
2. Clare Cox (APP) def. AUSTIN,Victorea (NCAT) 6-1, 6-0
3. Brianna Armellino (APP) def. STALLING,Kimberly (NCAT) 6-2, 6-0
4. Gabby Gabriel (APP) def. CROSS,Cayla (NCAT) 6-2, 3-6, 10-5
5. Gabriela Celi (APP) def. SCOTT,Jayla (NCAT) 6-1, 6-1
6. Sarah King (APP) def. BURRAGE,April (NCAT) 6-1, 6-1
1. Jennifer Ansari/Clare Cox (APP) def. HENRY,Nianna/STALLING,Kimberly (NCAT) 8-1
2. Gabriela Celi/Brianna Armellino (APP) def. SCOTT,Jayla/CROSS,Cayla (NCAT) 8-4
3. Carson Shell/Sarah King (APP) def. COLBERT,Kenya/BURRAGE,April (NCAT) 8-2
Appalachian State 1-0
North Carolina A&T 0-1
Kenya Colbert injured, withdrew from No. 1 singles match after 1-4 start
2013 Opening Day