COLUMBIA, S.C.- Appalachian State University men’s tennis showed effort, but No.39 South Carolina came out ahead on Saturday afternoon, as the Mountaineers fell 0-5 to the Gamecocks in their opening match of 2013.
The day proved to be a tough start for the Apps at USC Field House, as the Gamecocks swept through doubles competition. Steven Karendal and Andrew McKinnon fell at the No. 2 spot after strong performances from USC’s Kyle Koch and Harry Menzies. The Gamecocks managed to clinch the victory after playing another 8-2 set against Steve Lake and Robert Jenkins, while Sebastien King and Zach Bost were locked at 5-5 against Tsvetan Mihov and Chip Cox when play was suspended.
The Black & Gold faced a challenge in singles action as well. Appalachian’s Matt Saltsgaver fell in a quick 6-1, 6-1 loss to Menzies at the No. 4 position, putting the Gamecocks ahead 2-0. Karendal dropped a 6-1, 6-2 loss to South Carolina’s Cox at the No. 2 spot. Bost led early in the second set, but Kyle Koch fought to come back and force a tiebreaker, winning the No. 3 position 7-6 (2). King proved pretty well matched against Tsvetan Mihov, but was unable to hang at the No. 1 spot, after Mihov pulled ahead in a 6-3, 6-3 final.
Up next, men’s tennis heads to Wilmington, N.C. on Jan. 21 to face UNC Wilmington at 1 p.m., before returning to Boone to host Presbyterian College on Jan. 26 at 1 p.m.
#39 South Carolina 5, Appalachian State 0
1. Tsvetan Mihov (SC) def. Sebastien King (AST) 6-3, 6-3
2. Chip Cox (SC) def. Steve Karendal (AST) 6-1, 6-2
3. Kyle Koch (SC) def. Zach Bost (AST) 6-1, 7-6 (7-2)
4. Harry Menzies (SC) def. Matt Saltsgaver (AST) 6-1, 6-1
5. Andrew McKinnon (AST) vs. Thiago Pinheiro (SC) no result
6. Robert Jenkins (AST) vs. Ben Barnette (SC) no result
1. Tsvetan Mihov/Chip Cox (SC) def. Sebastien King/Zach Bost (AST) 5-4
2. Kyle Koch/Harry Menzies (SC) def. Steve Karendal/Andrew McKinnon (AST) 8-2
3. Thiago Pinheiro/Ben Barnette (SC) def. Steve Lake/Robert Jenkins (AST) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (4,2,3,1)