BOONE, N.C. - Appalachian State University men's tennis suffered a tough 3-4 loss this afternoon against Presbyterian College at Deer Valley Racquet Club.
The Mountaineer got off to a rough start as both the No 1 doubles team of Zach Bost and Sebastien King and the No. 2 doubles team of Steve Karendal and Andrew McKinnon dropped their matches to the Blue Hose. The No. 3 doubles team of Steve Lake and Jan-Willem Kleynhans pulled off an 8-2 victory to give the Apps their first win of the afternoon.
In singles action, King was unable to secure the victory as he fell 7-6 and 7-5 in No. 1 singles action. Bost picked up the Black and Gold's first singles victory of the afternoon when he defeated William O'Connell 6-4, 7-6 in No. 2 singles, while Karendal defeated Rafael Berghaus 7-6, 6-4 in No. 3 singles.
Appalachian suffered its second loss in No. 4 singles, as McKinnon was defeated 6-4, 6-4 by Presbyterian College's Andrew Brigham. The Apps were down 3-2 when Saltsgaver earned an exciting 6-2 victory in the tiebreaker match to knot the score at three all.
Kleynhans battled hard in his first match for the Apps, but was unable to defeat Danny Bruce in the tiebreaker match, as Appalachian fell 4-3 to the Blue Hose.
With the loss the Mountaineers fall to 0-3 overall on the season, while Presbyterian College improves to 3-3 overall on the season. Appalachian will be back in action on Saturday, Feb. 2 when ETSU travels to High Country. The match is scheduled to start at 1 p.m.
PRESBYTERIAN COLLEGE 4, APPALCHIAN STATE 3
Grayson Mills (PCM) def. Sebastian King (APP)
2. Zach Bost (APP) def. William O'Connell (PCM) 6-4, 7-6
3. Steve Karendal (APP) def. Rafael Berghaus (PCM) 7-6, 6-4
4. Andrew Brigham (PCM) def. Andrew McKinnon (APP) 6-4, 6-4
5. Matt Saltsgaver (APP) def. Gonzalo Asis (PCM) 6-1, 3-6, 6-2
6. Danny Bruce (PCM) def. Jen-Willem Kleynhans (APP) 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
Rafael Berghaus-Grayson Mills (PCM) def. Zach
Bost-Sebastien King (APP) 9-8
2. Andrew Brigham-William O'Connell (PCM) def. Steve Karendal-Andrew McKinnon (APP) 8-6
3. Steve Lake-Jen-Willem Kleynhans (APP) def. Nathan Crocker-Edwards Snead 8-2